Bernard Magrez has purchased the First Growth Sauternes and Barsac Clos Haut Peyraguey making this his third Sauternes and Barsac property – the others being Chateau Romer (purchased earlier this year) and Chateau Latrézotte in Barsac, where he produces La Sauternes de ma Fille. Magrez owns around 40 wine estates around the world, including in Chile and Japan, and is the owner of Grands Crus Classés Chateau Pape Clement, La Tour Carnet and Fombrauge in Bordeaux.
Clos Haut Peyraguey is the smallest Premier Cru in Sauternes and has only about 40 acres. The vineyards lie in the town of Bommes and its immediate neighbours are Chateaux d’Yquem (4 plots of Clos Haut Peyraguey’s vines actually border those of d’Yquem), Rayne Vigneau, Sigalas Rabaud, Lafaurie Peyraguey, La Tour Blanche and Guiraud.
Clos Haut Peyraguey and Chateau Lafaurie Peyraguey were once part of the Peyraguey estate which dates back to the 17th century. In 1742 it was owned by Nicolas-Pierre Pichard (1734-1794), President of the Bordeaux Parliament and owner of Chateau Lafite and Coutet at the time. In the Sauternes and Barsac Classification of 1855 Peyraguey was ranked a Premier Cru and in 1858 King Alphonse XII of Spain purchased a barrel for 6,000 francs and it is said he was amazed with the wine.
In 1865 the estate was owned by the Count Duchatel (1803 – 1867) who also owned Chateau Lagrange in Saint Julien. However after his death and that of his widow the estate was spilt in 1879 into Chateau Lafaurie Peyraguey (which retained the chateau building), Clos Haut Peyraguey and possibly Chateau Barrail Peyraguey. Clos Haut Peyraguey was purchased by Ernest Grillon, owner of Chateau de Veyres in Preignac, near Chateau de Malle.
In 1914 it was sold to Eugene Garbay, owner of Chateau Haut Bommes and Fernand Ginestet. The Garbay family acquired full ownership of the estate in 1937 and until recently it was run by their descendant Martine Langlais Pauly who took over running the estate in 2002.